Want a muffin that’s really just a bit of sweet cake?
Sometimes you just have to have a muffin. This time, not a healthy fix of oat or bran (let’s face it the craving for bran, doesn’t happen too often…), but a sweet-tooth satisfying muffin. One I could imagine sitting next to a hot cup of tea. So I set out over the bloggersphere to find a flavor combination that would fit the bill. It had to have chocolate… a given… but crunch might be nice…. not nuts… been there, done that. Graham Cracker… maybe. How about Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip? Perfect! Sounds like a muffin, meets a square, meets a candy bar! Let’s give it a try…
Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip MuffinsEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- FOR THE MUFFINS:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs, they can be a bit chunky
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line muffin tins with liners or spray well with cooking spray and set aside.
- For the muffins, in a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and graham cracker crumbs until blended. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the milk, oil, egg, and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add the chocolate chips and stir in by hand.
- Fill each muffin liner or tin about 2/3 full.
- For the topping, in a bowl mix the flour, brown sugar, graham cracker crumbs, cinnamon and stir to combine all the dry ingredients well. Add the melted butter and mix well until crumbly and looking like wet sand.
- Top each muffin with 1 heaping tablespoon of crumb topping.
- Bake for 16-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Makes 12 muffins.
Leave a Reply