Let’s start off the year right with this Hazelnut Banana Cake with Buttered Rum Glaze
This cake takes advantage of the yummy goodness of roasted hazelnuts. You can buy them already roasted, but how about roasting raw hazelnuts yourself? Give it a try, it’s easy!
Step Two: Remove from oven and place in a clean kitchen towel. Rub vigorously to remove skins. Done! Don’t worry if a few skins stay one, that’s O.K. Place in an air-tight container and store at room temperature.
- 2 cups roasted hazelnuts
- 5 Tbsp canola oil
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 Tbsp dark spiced rum
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter a 9-inch round pan, line with parchment and butter again.
- Combine oil and sugars in a stand mixer and cream until light and fluffy; 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions. Add banana, rum and lemon zest; beat to combine.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and in a bowl. Add dry mixture to batter and beat until combined. Add hazelnuts. Spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool for 10 minutes and then turn out onto wire rack, removing parchment paper, to cool completely. Prepare Glaze.
Many thanks to our 2013 sponsor, Manitoba Canola Growers. Their encouragement and enthusiasm is contagious! So glad to have you back for 2014!
Did you know canola oil was created in Canada? This healthy oil is low in saturated fat, high in monounsaturated and omega-3 fatty acids.
We’re proud to be using canola in all of our cake recipes this year.
Looking for more canola oil recipes? Visit www.CanolaEatWell.com