RICARDO SLOW COOKER FAVOURITES By Ricardo Larrivée
Is that Slow Cooker you got for Christmas still in the original box? Shame on you – get it out and give it a try.
Slow cooking can be a real time-saver… imagine coming home and dinner is waiting for you… yes! If you need a little help getting started, I would recommend you go out and buy this new book by Ricardo. It’s modern, fresh and easy to follow. See the full book review on page of the EatInEatOut Winter 2014 issue. Ricardo is amazing – a real Canadian success story. Check out all his recipes at RicardoCuisine.com.
This recipe for lasagna can be made with Italian sausage as the recipe calls for, but I used ground beef and it works just as well. If using ground beef, sauté until cooked with carrots and celery BEFORE adding to slow cooker.
This is an amazing slow cooker dish that is easy and feeds a crowd. Great choice for Super Bowl Sunday!
Slow Cooker Lasagna
- 454 g 1 lb Italian sausage meat, mild or spicy (about 4 sausages)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely grated
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 115 g 4 oz white button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups homemade or store-bought tomato sauce
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles, approx.
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 container, 475 g ricotta cheese
- 1-1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper
- In a bowl, combine the meat, carrot, celery, mushrooms, and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In the bottom of the slow cooker, spread 1/2 cup of tomato sauce. Cover with a layer of lasagna noodles. Break them if needed to fit.
- Spread one-third of the meat mixture over the noodles. Cover with 1 cup of tomato sauce and sprinkle with 1/3 cup of Parmesan. Cover with another layer of lasagna noodles. Cover with the ricotta cheese.
- Continue with a layer of lasagna noodles. Add another third of the meat mixture. Cover with another layer of noodles, the remaining meat mixture,
- cup of tomato sauce, and the remaining 2/3 cup of Parmesan. Top with the remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Cooking time may vary depending on the type of slow cooker you have. If the pasta is tender when a knife is inserted, the lasagna is ready. Try not to leave the lasagna on warm after it is cooked because the pasta will get soggy. Serves 6-8.
Leave a Reply