Make Dad feel special by celebrating Father’s Day with something a little different – Turkey Legs!
Hey guys, Fathers Day is this weekend – are you ready with something extra special?
All guys love meat on the barbecue, fact. Burgers are a go-to Dad pleaser and I love burgers too, who doesn’t? However, why not change it up and surprise him with something different – Honey Garlic Brined Turkey Legs! They are super-easy, super-tasty, and super-smoky! The extra time spent to brine the legs gives them a real depth of flavour that is amazing. Show Dad how much you care, it only takes a little bit more time…
My Dad’s going to be 90 years old at the end of this year… OMG! Here’s a few photos of him as a kid, so cute. Sometimes I wonder if the ninety years have flown by for him… time is so short. Love you “Boy” (he knows that that means). Have a great Father’s Day!
- 2 turkey legs
- 3 cups warm water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup table salt
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup honey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- For Brine: In a large Dutch Oven or pot combine brine ingredients. Stir for 1-2 minutes to dissolve salt and sugar. Immerse turkey legs in brine, cover, refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Remove turkey legs from brine, rinse under cold water and pat dry. Discard brine.
- Preheat BBQ grill* to medium (375ºF – 400ºF), using indirect heat (one side of the grill is off).
- In a small bowl mix all Dry Rub ingredients. Massage rub all over turkey legs to completely cover.
- Over the DIRECT heat, sear legs for 2-3 minutes on all sides. Remove to the INDIRECT side of grill and cook, with lid down, for 25 minutes.
- Prepare Honey Garlic Sauce: Combine Honey Garlic Sauce ingredients, except cornstarch and water, in as sauce pan. Combine cornstarch with water in a small dish, then add to sauce pan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2-4 minutes on low until thickened. Set aside.
- After 25 minutes, open BBQ lid and brush legs with Honey Garlic Sauce. Close lid and continue to cook until legs reach an internal temperature of 180ºF (about 15 to 20 minutes). Liberally brush with remaining Honey Garlic Sauce and serve.
This post is part of a paid sponsored series with CanadianTurkey.ca. As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.