Summer-like temps call for lighter, fresher, hand-held meals that can be shared… outside!
Once it starts to get really warm out, I like to switch to lighter, healthy meals. These Summer Fresh Rolls are the perfect thing. Now’s the time to take advantage of the fresh produce that will soon be pouring into your local farmer’s market.It’s time to get out on the patio or deck and share some simple meals with family and friends because summer at last.
Have you ever tried Fresh Rolls at a Thai restaurant? Did you know they are super-easy to make at home? Rice paper wrappers can be found in most grocery stores now, so there’s no excuse for you to call for take-out.
I always encourage you to use fresh local ingredients when they’re in season. So feel free to switch out the mango I used for peaches, plums, nectarines… go crazy. Thin slices of cantaloupe would be amazing…
The great thing about making your own fresh rolls, is you have full control on what goes inside. I’ve used cooked pork (this is my favourite recipe…) for the fresh rolls in my photos, but you can try any leftover cooked meat like turkey, chicken or beef. Want to make a vegetarian meal? Try sliced portabella mushrooms or a spoonful of cooked barley or quinoa. Even better… put out a bunch of ingredients and let everyone fill their own!
BONUS: If you’re watching your calories this ‘beach season’, bring on the rice paper wrappers at only have 20 calories each. A single 7″ tortilla has 120… just sayin…
Summer Fresh Rolls with Hoisin Peanut Dipping SauceEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 2 cups cooked meat - pork, chicken, turkey, sliced
- 8-10 rice paper wrappers
- 2 mangos, slivered
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 red onion, julienned
HOISIN PEANUT DIPPING SAUCE
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup smooth peanut or almond butter
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 minced thai chili, optional
- In a bowl of warm water, dip each rice paper wrapper for about 5 seconds. Do not over soak!. Place on a work surface and allow the wrapper to soak up water and become pliable, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- In the 1/3 closest to you, lay a few baby spinach leaves, then a few slices of pork, carrots, mango and onion. Roll up tightly to about half the way, then turn in sides and complete rolling snuggly. Serve with HOISIN PEANUT DIPPING SAUCE.