Quite possibly the greatest banana bread recipe ever…
So the other day I was looking at my kitchen fruit bowl and what was staring back at me… 3 gross looking almost totally black bananas. I could have tossed them in the recycling, but I heard my Mom’s voice in my head… “You can’t throw them away, they’re perfect for making my Banana Bread!”. It’s been a while since I made this perfectly simple recipe, so it was time I whipped up a loaf and shared it with all of you…
What could be better than a recipe that requires just 7 simple pantry items? Nothing. That’s what makes Mom’s Quick and Easy Banana Bread a perfect recipe. It’s really, really simple, yet the result is dependable, moist and flavourful every time. No fails.
I always bake this loaf when I have the black bananas and then I freeze it. It freezes so well and when thawed, tastes just-baked. Win-win! I can’t stress strongly enough that you must try this loaf, it is truly amazing. It keeps wrapped on the counter for up to 10 days, but trust me it won’t last that long.
I’ve shown you Mom’s Quick and Easy Banana Bread plain, simple and perfectly delicious. If the mood strikes me and I want to glam it up, I’ve been known to toss in 1/3 – 1/2 cup of chocolate chips or chopped walnuts or even raisins. That would be my only addition to what is already a beaufiful recipe from the one and only Eleanor Walker (a.k.a Mom).
Mom's Quick and Easy Banana BreadEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- ½ cup margarine or softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed over-ripe banana, usually 3
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cup flour
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3-1/2 cup chocolate chips, chopped walnuts or raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a standard 4.5” x 8.5” bread loaf pan.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, nutmeg and baking soda.
- In another bowl, cream margarine and sugar. Add mashed banana and egg.
- Add dry ingredients to banana mixture. Mix and pour into prepared pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes.
Based on 12 slices: