Zucchini to the rescue with a yummy weeknight meal in 30 minutes!
Looking for a recipe that is simple, nutritious and ready-to-eat when life gets too busy to cook? These Vietnamese Turkey Zucchini Cups are the perfect thing. Packed with fresh and healthy ingredients, they are a great go-to meal when you’re on the run!
Welcome to zucchini time! What a versatile little veggie. It’s easy to grow and easy to eat… in so many awesome ways! This time of year, your gardens are overflowing with these guys, right? They don’t freeze, so you need to use them up in great recipes, right now. To help you out with that, I posted 10 Tasty Ways to Use Zucchini few weeks ago, did you check it out? In the meantime, let’s add these Vietnamese Turkey Zucchini Cups to the list, because they’re my new favourite!
These Vietnamese Turkey Zucchini Cups could also be made by cutting the zucchini lengthwise to make a boat, but just to be different, I thought the kids would love these little cups. Kids just love food that is bit-sized. You could eat them with your hands, but I recommend sticking to a knife and fork. Topped with or without the Salad Topping, kids and adults will love them either way. What’s the best part? A great meal on the table in 30 minutes!
Did you miss the launch of the FALL 2016 issue of EatInEatOut™ Magazine this week? It’s all about FAMILY. We’ve come up with tons of simple tasty family meals that use local fresh produce. Think cauliflower, pumpkins, tomatoes, apples…
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- ½ cup carrot, finely julienned
- ½ cup green onion, finely julienned
- 6 medium zucchini, trim ends, cut in half across (not lengthwise), seed, leaving ¼” thick shell cups
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce for serving
- ½ cup broth
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, finely julienned
- 3 Tbsp red onion, finely julienned
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In a small bowl mix Salad Topping ingredients (if using). Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix STIR-FRY SAUCE ingredients. Set aside.
- Add sesame oil to a large fry pan over medium-high heat. Add turkey and cook, breaking up with back of the spoon into fine crumble.
- Add carrot and STIR-FRY SAUCE. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium and simmer, stirring for 2 minutes until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in green onions.
- Place zucchini cups in a casserole dish or foil-lined baking pan. Spoon turkey mixture into each cup, pressing down well and mounding the top. Bake 20 minutes.
- Serve drizzled with additional hoisin sauce and SALAD TOPPING (if using).