Tuna Casserole is the ultimate comfort food!Craving comfort food? When it’s dreary outside, the fridge is bare and I need a satisfying dinner in a hurry, what comes to mind? Mom’s Tuna Casserole! Mom’s Tuna Casserole checks all my boxes: simple pantry ingredients, to the table in 45 minutes, and delicious every time. Although I know this simple recipe off by heart, I looked it up on EatInEatOut and, OMG, it was not there! I can’t believe I missed sharing this staple for casserole lovers. My apologies for all the lost yumminess… enjoy. This time around I had a can of Cream of Cremini and Wild Mushroom soup on the shelf – I loved it. You can use any cream soup you like; chicken, broccoli, celery, go wild. They each contribute a unique flavour and I’ve tried them all and each one is delicious. Now my thoughts on elbow macaroni, I know, not a trendy pasta shape. You can swap out for penné or fussili, but good old macaroni is the bomb. I have used all the store brands, but have settled on the one most pros like – Barilla. Not a sponsor (shout out), but I love it and recommend it. I use a 1.5 qt round baking dish for this recipe and it serves up to 6 smallish servings. You can easily double the recipe to serve 8 in a larger 2.5 qt oval dish. Sometimes I add a cup of blanched broccoli or fresh baby spinach right into the casserole mix. It’s a great way to sneak in the veg so you don’t have to make sides!
Mom’s Tuna Casserole
This is a classic recipe that is one of my most popular. Made with simple pantry ingredients and on the table in 45 minutes, Mom's Tuna Casserole is a staple for casserole lovers.EMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 1 ¾ cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 284 mL can condensed cream soup – mushroom, chicken, celery, broccoli
- 1 170 g can flaked light tuna
- ½ cup milk
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup shredded old cheddar cheese, divided
- ¼ tsp EACH salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, just to al dente.
- In a bowl mix cooked pasta, soup, tuna, milk, onion, ½ cup cheese and spices. Pour mixture into a greased 1.5 qt. casserole dish and sprinkle remaining ½ cup cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes until bubbling.
OPTIONAL: add up to 1 cup blanched broccoli or baby spinach