Stay at home, simple, feel-good loaf
It’s hard to believe that we are into week 7 of self-quarantine, self isolating, whatever. How is everyone doing? Are you taking the opportunity to try some baking? I see my IG community making sourdough starter and baking lots of bread. I see that making home-made bagels is now a new thing. For me both of those options seem way too complicated and have resulted in world-wide shortages of yeast and all-purpose flour!
So, for me it’s time to raid the pantry and come up with something that’s tasty and comes together quickly.
I had lots of carrots in the fridge, cake flour left over and canned pineapple in the pantry so here’s the result – CARROT PINEAPPLE LOAF!
This moist and delicious loaf is not too sweet. It’s a great replacement for a morning muffin or late afternoon snack with tea.
If you want to make a dessert out of it, I think a lemon-cream cheese icing on the top would be awesome.
I used raisins in my loaf as Mr. K can’t eat nuts. I soaked mine for 15 minutes in rum before draining and adding them to the mixture. If that’s not your thing, you can try hot water, warmed pineapple juice… be creative. Enjoy!
Carrot Pineapple LoafEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 3/4 cup canned pineapple, chopped and very well drained
- 1/4 cup raisins or chopped walnuts or pecans
- coarse sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl mix flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another bowl add milk, egg, oil, vanilla, carrots, pineapple and raisins or nuts. Mix these wet ingredients well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Fold together until there is no dry spot left but don't over-mix.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle top with coarse sugar - as much as you prefer. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool and slice.