Celebration made simple with this one-pan wonder!
This time cake of the month is also my birthday cake, so you know what that means… chocolate! Each year I try to top the last, on my quest to find the ultimate chocolate cake. Last year’s Blackberry Red Wine Chocolate Cake, was really hard to beat; moist, dark and delicious. Not a snap, it’s layers, filling and icing take a little bit of time and effort… but so worth it. CHOCOLATE BANANA CAKE with Chocolate Ganache and Caramel Drizzle that I made in February is also a wonderful cake.
This time I thought, let’s make it easy. A one-bowl dessert for any party or celebration that’s super-simple, but oh so chocolatey good.
Ta Dah! One-Pan Double Chocolate Cake! It’s hard to choose between classic Chocolate Buttercream Frosting and the more decadent Chocolate Cream Cheese… but in the end I went with the classic.
This cake is so easy!! Great if you need something fast to bring to a pot-luck that is moist and always yummy. I made it in layers, but you could make it in a 9″ x 12″ square pan just as well. Really dependable and great tasting – a classic go-to. Happy Birthday to me!
One-Pan Double Chocolate CakeEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for pans
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter two 8-inch round pans and dust with cocoa.
- Combine cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt into the bowl of a mixer. Beat on low until combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, water, oil and vanilla. Increase speed to medium and beat until very smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Divide batter into pans. Bake until set about 30-35 minutes. Let cool completely before turning out and frosting. Dust with Maldon or Kosher salt.
3 cups confectioner's (icing) sugar,
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder,
2/3 cup butter, softened,
5 to 6 Tbsp light (10%) cream,
1-12/ tsp vanilla, Whisk together sugar and cocoa, set aside. In a mixer bowl, beat butter until smooth. Gradually add cocoa mixture and cream, alternately, beating until smooth and creamy. Beat in vanilla.