Spoil your dad this weekend with a summer salad fit for bacon-lovers!
This Father’s Day we celebrate all the dads, stepdads, uncles and brothers in our lives. It’s time to make the day extra-special in order to showcase how much we appreciate all they do to enrich our lives.
What better way to please the dad in your life than with a delicious meal featuring this Orzo Bacon and Charred Corn Salad. It brings together a trifecta of yumminess: pasta, corn that’s been charred on the grill, and (OMG) double smoked extra-thick bacon. That’s right, a ton ‘o bacon!
This Orzo Bacon and Charred Corn Salad is a great mix of summer-fresh ingredients. The perfect side for grilled meat or a burger, a light meal on it’s own, or a hearty next-day lunch.
I love a salad that you can make all the ingredients ahead, then when ready to serve, just toss together with the dressing in one big bowl. Like my Mom’s Patio Salad or Rainbow Zucchini Noodle Salad with Blueberries – fresh, summery and delicious!
This Orzo Bacon and Charred Corn Salad is one of my favourite things to bring to a potluck or barbecue in the summer. Who doesn’t love charred corn, creamy avocado and dah… bacon? The topper is the surprising tang of the smoky Chili-Lime Dressing, unexpected and oh so yummy!
Lastly a shoutout to my dad – “Dad, you are the BACON of dads!” He’ll know that’s a huge compliment… trust me.
Orzo, Bacon and Charred Corn Salad with Chili-Lime DressingEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 cobs of freshly shucked corn
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, sliced
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- 4 Tbsp 2.9% Greek yogurt
- 4 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp chipotle chilli pepper
- ¼ tsp salt and pepper
- In a small bowl whisk together all the Chili-Lime Dressing ingredients. Store in refrigerator until ready to assemble salad.
- Cook pasta according to package directions for el dente. Drain and place in a bowl. Drizzle with canola oil, toss to coat. Cool stirring often to prevent sticking. Can be refrigerated until ready to assemble salad.
- Heat barbecue to medium. Place corn on the grill, turning, until kernels are tender-crisp and slightly charred, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from grill and allow to cool for 10 minutes. When ready to handle, use a sharp knife to remove kernels from cob. Store in a small bowl in refrigerator until ready to assemble salad.
- When ready to assemble salad, toss pasta with corn, celery, bell pepper, red onion, bacon, avocado, tomatoes and herbs. Add the Chili-Lime Dressing and stir to coat. Serve.
This post is sponsored by the awesome folks at Ontario Pork. Thanks in advance for supporting the great products that support EIEO.