This Simple Orange Chicken has been my go-to recipe for 30 years!
Most of us have certain recipes that we’ve made so many times, you no longer need the recipe, it’s just second nature. This Simple Orange Chicken is one of those. I can’t take credit for it, although I have adapted and simplified it over the years, originally it came to me from a wonderful cookbook called Fare for Friends.
Originally published in 1983, Fare for Friends, is one of Canada’s most popular and bestselling cookbooks having sold over 50,000 copies in North America. It was first issued to raise money for Interim Place, a battered women`s shelter in Mississauga, Ontario, and has since helped raise money for educational materials, children`s facilities and professional support staff for its program. It is full of delicious and approachable recipes for appetizers, soups, mains and desserts, a must-have resource for any home cook.
This genius recipe with a seasoned flour coating and rich hit of liqueur, turns an everyday weeknight meal into to a dish fit for company.
Why do I love this recipe? Well, it’s really simple and yet the end result packs incredibly complex flavour that you can proudly serve to family or company. The original recipe took a bit more time, so I have simplified it to a quick 30-minute meal… that’s my thaaang.
I also love a meal with a sauce. I am a sauce person… there I said it. This orange sauce is amazing! It’s flavour is most complex with the added Grand Marnier, but still super-tasty without. Using frozen OJ may sound a bit weird, but the concentrated orange flavour can’t be matched by using fresh orange juice as a replacement… believe me I’ve tried.
I can’t recommend this dish highly enough. If you’re a fan of the chicken and orange combination, this is the recipe for you. You will not be disappointed, I’ve loved it for 30 years!
- 6 chicken thighs, skinless, deboned, cut in half
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- ½ can (295ml can) frozen concentrated orange juice
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard mixed with ½ cup water
- ¼ cup Grand Marnier (optional)
- ½ cup green onions, sliced
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Add Seasoned Flour ingredients to a re-sealable bag. Add chicken pieces and toss to coat – you may need to do this in two batches.
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken pieces 2 minutes on each side. Remove to a 9” x 12” baking dish.
- To the same skillet, (if it’s too brown give it a quick wipe with paper towel), add orange juice, Dijon mixture and Grand Marnier, if using. Whisk to combine well. Bring to a boil for 1 minute then pour over chicken. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice topped with sliced green onions and a few sesame seeds.