These are beautiful cookies, packed with flavor
The saltiness of the pistachios and the intense sweet yet tart taste of the cherries is a perfect combination. Make sure to add this treat to your baking list.
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup chopped shelled pistachios
- ½ cup chopped dried sour cherries
- 3 Tbsp turbinado sugar
- In a small bowl, combine sugar with lemon zest.
- In another bowl, beat butter with lemon sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and lemon juice. Mix in flour and salt to form a smooth dough. Mix in pistachios and cherries. Divide in half. Form each into a 1-1/2 inch log, flattening each side to form a rectangle.
- Spread turbinado sugar over wax paper. Press sides of rectangle log to adhere. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Cut into ¼-inch thick slices. Arrange 1 inch apart on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake in preheated 350ºF oven until golden, about 14 minutes. Let cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks until completely cool.