Cheer on your favourite team with spicy burgers they can eat in one hand!
In Canada it’s time to begin the journey to the Grey Cup with the CFL playoffs. Getting the gang together to cheer on your favourite team calls for spicy foods that go well with a great beer. These trendy pork belly sliders with a spicy Asian twist take a little more time to make, but you can make the roast ahead, so they are totally worth it!
Lately, many restaurants have been featuring dishes made with pork belly. Well, did you know you could make it at home? It’s simple to make, low cost and super flavourful.
What is pork belly? Well, just that, the boneless fatty meat of the belly. Pork belly has been popular in Asian cuisine for ages, but it’s now being introduced into North America through creative chefs and adventurous home cooks.
Think of pork belly as just a huge slab of uncured bacon. Once we slow-roast it, pork belly becomes sweet with caramelized sugars and salty and spicy from the rub. It’s so soft and totally rich from the slow cooking and rendered fat, but it’s also crispy and a bit exotic. To start you need a pork belly roast…
There are lots of things you can do with your finished pork belly. Besides slicing or dicing to eat as a roast, it can be shredded to make the most awesome taco filling you have ever tasted. This delicious shredded filling can also be used in steamed buns, or as a delicious sandwich filling.
For these Spicy Asian Pork Belly Sliders with Sweet & Sour Slaw we’re going to stash the whole cooked pork belly in the refrigerator. On game day when you’re ready to make sliders, cut off some thick slices, toss them into a hot pan for a minute and then you’re ready to assemble. Easy, peasy.
You could have these pork sliders with traditional bottled BBQ sauce, but take it up a notch by making this Asian Glaze plus Sweet & Sour Slaw. The crunch of this slaw goes perfectly with the rich pork belly…You will love it!
Spicy Asian Pork Belly Sliders with Sweet & Sour SlawEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
PORK BELLY ROAST
- 1.5 lb skinless pork belly
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
SPICY ASIAN GLAZE
- 6 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 3 Tbsp sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 2 tsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
SWEET & SOUR SLAW:
- ½ cup green apple, julienned
- ½ cup carrot, julienned
- ¼ cup red onion, julienned
- 1-/12 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- ½ tsp sugar
- 8 -10 slider buns
TO MAKE PORK BELLY:
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Score the fat cap in criss cross sections through the fat but not into the meat. In a small dish mix sugar, salt and pepper. Rub into criss crossed fat and sides of roast.
- Place in a roasting pan fat side up and roast in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn temperature down to 275ºF and continue roasting for 1.5 hours.
- Remove from oven and allow roast to cool to room temperature. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled through – 2 hours – 2 days.
TO MAKE SPICY ASIAN SLIDERS:
- Mix all SPICY ASIAN GLAZE ingredients in a small bowl and set aside
- Mix all ingredients of the SWEET & SOUR SLAW and set aside.
- To make Sliders: Slice Pork Belly Roast into ¼” slices. In a fry pan over medium heat, reheat slices, about 2 minutes per side.
- Toast buns under broiler.
- Assemble sliders by placing 2 warm slices of Pork Belly Roast on bun, drizzle with Spicy Asian Glaze and top with Sweet & Sour slaw.
Leave a Reply