Dazzle her this Mother’s Day with a show-stopping dessert that’s simple as pie!
It’s Mothers Day. You need a dessert. Sometimes a helpful shortcut will give you the little push you need to get the job done right. In this simple but stunning Strawberry-Lime Rhubarb Tart, save some time and effort by using store-bought pastry dough. Trust me, no one will notice, the amazing flavour of the fruit filling and whipped cream is really the star of the show.
Around here, local rhubarb is in season from April until September and can be harvested 3-4 times during that time. I like to freeze fresh rhubarb pre-washed and cut into 1″ cubes, so for me it’s easy to just pull some out to thaw anytime I feel like a pie. Don’t let that stop you though, this tart would be great with any fresh fruit – raspberries, cherries or blueberries.
If whipped cream is all you have on hand, that would be a perfect finish to these tarts. However, if you want to take it up a notch this Mascarpone Whipped Cream with fresh lime zest is an amazing compliment to the fruit filling. Enjoy!
Strawberry-Lime Rhubarb TartEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 1 - homemade or store bought pastry crust dough
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- zest if one lime
- 3 cups fresh fruit, 1-/12 cup sliced strawberries + 1-1/2 cup rhubarb, chopped into 1" pieces
To make filling:
- In a medium saucepan, toss all ingredients and stir to coat fruit. Place over medium-high heat and cook, stirring frequently, until sugar is dissolved and the fruit starts to soften. Set aside.
To make tarts:
- Grease 4-3" tart tins with butter. Roll out pastry dough and with a 4" round, cut out 4 circles. Press dough circles into each tart tin.
- Divide the fruit mixture between the 4 tart tins - do not over-fill. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 400ºF for until fruit is bubbling and pastry is golden, about 13-18 minutes. Let cool completely, then remove from tart tins. Serve topped with Mascarpone Whipped Cream and more lime zest.
Mascarpone Whipped Cream: In a small bowl mix 1 cup whipping cream, 1/3 cup Mascarpone cheese, 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp cornstarch. Whip on high until stiff peaks form.
Dear Lori. I do enjoy your magazine and mostly your wonderful recipe. My daughter love it also. She is in Utah. This is how far you travel. HA HA . Lucky you!
Thank you so much for making our boring life much richer. (in the kitchen).
Thank you Mirjana, Happy Mother’s Day!