It’s almost the big day… is your menu set? Turkey is defrosting, cake layers are baking. Hey, what about welcoming all your guests with a canapé and a glass of bubbly to start off the celebration? Try these little gems I call Lori’s Surprise Canapés. They are simple to make up to 10 days ahead and assemble in a snap just before guests arrive.
Small and easy to pop right into your mouth in one delicious bite, no one will ever guess what’s in them. That’s the surprise… dah. The main ingredient gets roasted down to the point that you can’t really tell what it is. The filling created is just sweet and savoury heaven…
I can’t tell you how yum yum yum these are. Just a flavour explosion in your mouth! It’s a given that I’m a real ‘sweet‘ person, so these creations are a complex mix of super sweet and savoury. Drive right in, you are going to have to make lots. Happy Holidays, and enjoy!
Are you still looking for more recipes to serve over the holidays? The HOLIDAY ISSUE of EatInEatOut magazine has wonder Cheesy Appetizers, Meaty Mains and loads of awesome Holiday Cookie recipes. There’s still time… get cookin’!
Lori's Surprise CanapésEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 3 cups red and green seedless grapes, sliced in half or quartered if large)
- 4 Tbsp red onion, diced very finely
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl. Spread out on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast at 450ºF for 40 minutes. STIR EVERY 10 MINUTES AND WATCH NOT TO BURN.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. This mixture can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for 10 days.
- To Assemble Canapés: On a small crisp bread, spread a thin layer of goat cheese. Cover with a tsp of filling. Top with a sprinkle of shredded Asiago cheese and freshly cracked pepper.