Plan ahead for New Year’s Day Brunch with this delicious Assorted Sub Gruyère Strata
How was your Christmas? Did Santa bring you all the treats you were hoping for? I hope the big meal came off as planned and everyone enjoyed all the wonderful food you prepared. For me, this year Christmas Day was both happy and sad at the same time. It certainly will be one I remember always…
Time to move on, let’s start the plan for New Year’s! I’ll be posting a list of amazing cocktail party appetizers tomorrow, so look to your inbox for that. In the meantime, I thought I’d share a great make-ahead brunch recipe for New Year’s Day. This Assorted Sub Gruyère Strata is one of my favourites, truly delicious and so simple to make.
Made with assorted cold cuts you have in the fridge, it comes together quickly and feeds 6-8 people. Great idea if you have some guests staying over from the New Year’s Eve bash! The best part is you can assemble the strata the day before and keep it in the fridge to be baked the next day. Easy peasy!
If you are avoiding processed meats, no problem, this recipe is just as awesome using leftover turkey, beef, ham or all three. Just substitute 3/4 cup of whatever cooked meat you have on hand. Enjoy!!
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 6 cups baby spinach, stems removed, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp salt and pepper
- 6 cups sourdough bread, in 1" cubes
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese
- ¾ cup assorted cold cuts, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- On a skillet over med-high heat sauté spinach, garlic, salt and pepper in canola oil until wilted; about 1-2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together spinach mixture, bread, onions, cheese and cold cuts. Spread into a greased 8" (2L) baking dish.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs with milk and Dijon. Pour over bread mixture and let stand for minimum of 20 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Bake in 375ºF oven for 45 minutes until puffed and golden.