Craving a taste of the tropics? Start the day with a healthy porridge that will take you on vacation…
Where the heck is spring? I don’t know what’s going on where you are, but as I work on this post it’s snowing outside my window … and it’s April? It makes me think about warm climates, tropical breezes and lots of sunshine. If you’re like me, you can’t jump on a plane right now, but I can share a recipe with flavours that will transport you to the tropics. Just imagine starting your day with coconut, banana and tropical fruit together in one hearty breakfast bowl…
Have you tried quinoa for breakfast yet? It’s nutty taste is a welcome change to the usual oatmeal and it’s gluten-free… bonus!
This Tropical Quinoa Porridge is high in protein, and is hearty enough to keep your belly full until lunchtime. If you’ve got picky little eaters at home, this breakfast is perfect as it’s naturally sweet, and can be topped with just about any fruit.
Want to learn more about the science-backed health benefits of quinoa? Check out this article by Helen Nichols of Well-BeingSecrets.com
Tropical Quinoa PorridgeEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 1 cup milk or milk substitute
- almond, soy, or coconut beverage, plus more, to serve
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 Tbsps shredded coconut
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- Optional toppings: ½ cup diced mango, papaya or pineapple
- Bring milk or milk substitute to a boil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add quinoa and vanilla, stir, and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat and cover; cook for 15-20 minutes, or until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed. Let it rest, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mashed banana, and then spoon the porridge into serving bowls, and top with shredded coconut and chia seeds. Serve warm with more milk, if desired.
- ON THE GO TIP: Make this porridge a day or two ahead of time, and enjoy it hot or cold in the morning. Add the toppings right before serving to keep the flavours fresh.