Simple ingredients come together in this family-favourite that’s got some kick!
Let’s start off April with one last recipe from my slow cooker. I have gotten a ton of use out of this handy kitchen gadget over the winter months exploring Chinese take-out at home. It’s time to add to the list: Moo Shu Pork, General Tso’s Chicken, Mongolian Beef, Sweet & Sour Chicken and now Slow Cooker Kung Pao Chicken!
Kung Pao Chicken is another classic Chinese dish – spicy, slightly sweet and incredibly delicious. It should have a spicy kick to it, but you can customize that to your taste. Kick it up or down… it’s totally up to you!
Control the level of heat with the Sriracha sauce that you add. I added 2 teaspoons, that’s enough for me. Having said that, if you really like your food spicy go with a tablespoon or customize it to as much as you like… blow your socks off!
Slow Cooker Kung Pao ChickenEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red pepper, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 green pepper, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 zucchini, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 6 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 Tbsp corn starch + 4 Tbsp cold water
- 2 tsp Sriracha sauce, adjust to your taste, kick it up or down
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- Sliced green onions
- Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken cubes inside.
- In a bowl stir sauce ingredients; soy sauce, hoisin sauce, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, red pepper flakes. Pour sauce over chicken into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high for 3 hours or 5 hours on low. STIR HALF WAY THROUGH COOKING.
- About 15-20 minutes before serving, add peppers and zucchini. Whisk corn starch, cold water and Sriracha, then stir into crock pot. Cover, and continue to cook for 15 minutes on high or 25 minutes on low until sauce is thickened and veggies are tender-crisp.
- Serve over rice garnished with peanuts and sliced green onions.