This dairy-free cake is the perfect one-pan dessert on a cold winter day
This past holiday season I needed a quick and easy dessert that was also dairy-free. This Tropical Sheet Cake immediately came to mind. It’s been around for ages, because it’s fool-proof, moist, delicious and dead simple. It’s also the perfect ending to a big meal because the coconut and pineapple gives it a light texture, and refreshing tropical taste.
This Tropical Sheet Cake is perfect just with a simple sprinkle of confectioner’s sugar, but you know me, I took it up a notch with Rum Butter Sauce.
Like all sheet cakes made in one layer of a 9×12 pan, this Tropical Sheet Cake is simple to serve and feeds a crowd – easily 8-10 people. Perfect for most gatherings of friend and family; pot lucks, bridal and baby showers, Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas. I just love it and I know you will to. A must try!
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1-1/2 cans (14oz. each) crushed pineapple with juice
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- confectioner’s sugar for garnish
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup spiced rum
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9”x13” baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Spread coconut out on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Toast in prepared oven about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugars, salt and baking soda. Add pineapple and its juice, oil, eggs and vanilla; stirring to combine (do not over mix). Fold in pecans and toasted coconut.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Serve sprinkled with confectioner’s sugar and a drizzle of Rum Butter Sauce, if using.
- In a heavy-bottom pan melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add sugar and salt, cook stirring constantly for 6 minutes until sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in rum, vanilla and powdered sugar.