An icy cold salad for a hot and steamy summer day
In the glory days of kale and spinach, I’m leading a crusade to bring back good old Iceberg Lettuce! It’s almost all water, so straight out of the fridge it’s only job is to be refreshing and icy cold. The perfect thing when it’s hot and humid outside.
Wedge Salad makes me think of Mad Men – remembering back to the ’60’s when it was totally new and hip. This salad is rich yet light, and crunchy yet soft. It’s probably that weird combination that makes it so appealing, even today!
I’ve dressed it with a delicious 3-Herb Green Goddess Dressing that first appeared in the Summer 2015 issue of EIEO Magazine. In the magazine, it was drizzled over just-grilled warm romaine lettuce. I totally love this amazing dressing, it’s packed with good-for-you ingredients like avocado, Greek yogurt and lots of fresh herbs. Creamy and full of flavor.
If left thick, this 3-Herb Green Goddess is a great sauce that’s really versatile. Make a double batch and keep it in the fridge. I can think of so many ways to use it:
– tossed with zucchini noodles as a side dish
– as a dip for fresh veggies
– tossed with warm whole wheat pasta noodles as a fast weeknight supper
– drizzle over left over cold soba noodles for a packable work lunch
I’ve shown some chopped bacon in my wedge salad, but you could totally keep it vegetarian by subbing in grilled tofu. No tomato? Toss in sliced celery, red pepper or even some dried cranberries. Really simple, and so old-fashioned, it’s trendy again!
Don’t forget to check out some of my other summer salad suggestions.
How about Asparagus, Watermelon and Feta Salad
or how about the popular Shrimp, Mango and Avocado Salad? Keep it fresh, light and healthy… it’s summer!
Wedge Salad with 3-Herb Green Goddess DressingEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
3-HERB GREEN GODDESS DRESSING
- 1 ripe avocodo
- 1 cup packed Italian parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- juice of 1 lime, 1/4 cup
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp anchovy paste
- 1 tsp honey
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup water
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked, chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Place all Green Goddess Dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. At this point it will be thick, making a great sauce for pasta or a dip for veggies. In order to make it a pourable dressing, just add more water until you reach the consistency you like. Keep in refrigerator for up to a week.
- Slice lettuce into 4 or 6 wedges. To serve, plate lettuce wedge with bits of bacon, red onion, feta and tomato halves. Drizzle with lots of dressing and some additional cracked black pepper.
Leave a Reply