A new feature – The Meal Maker – begins with a Super Bowl party must!
I’m making my final preparations to entertain the gang on Sunday (go Patriots!) and I always depend on good Canadian Beef to please a hungry crowd. That’s why when they asked to sponsor a new monthly feature, I said YES!
Once per month The Meal Maker will remind us of the endless possibilities, easy preparation and totally awesome taste that only beef can offer. Dealing with fussy eaters, the rush of weeknight meals or the pressure to find healthy foods for the family, all vanish with the quality goodness of Canadian Beef.
So how does that tie back to the Super Bowl? Well, I already have some nibbles lined up including the delicious Marinara Sliders from last week, but the gang needs lots of finger foods and lots of fun. That’s where these Beef & Mushroom Thai Lettuce Cups come in. Not only are they incredibly yummy, they’re healthy too… bonus!
The combination of beef and chopped mushrooms, perfect buddies, really extends the recipe so it makes lots. I love the crunchy explosion of the cool lettuce, contrasted by a spicy hot zip of beef and mushrooms. Who doesn’t love eating with your hands? It’s messy, yes, but so much fun that’s totally worth it!
I topped these cool wraps with chopped peanuts, but if that’s an issue, try fresh cilantro or mint leaves. Have you tried sriracha sauce? It’s a sweet and spicy hot sauce that’s been a trend for the last few years. If spice is not your thing, leave it out, but if unafraid, go ahead and pour it on. Get as hot as you can go!
Looking for more recipes to feed the football or game-night crowd? Check out this cookbook I created for Canada Beef. The Playbook is loaded with tailgate and hand-held party foods that will please any beef-lover. How about Indian Beef Kabobs, Slow-Cooker Beef Poutine or Beef Chili Nachos? Cruise over to their eStore to get your copy. There are also tons of great beef recipes, cooking lessons and videos over at their websites: beefinfo.org and makeitbeef.ca.
Enjoy the game, and I’ll catch up with to you on Monday. It’s SWEET OF THE MONTH! I’m thinking chocolate…
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp garlic, diced
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce (or as much as you like)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Boston, Iceberg or Bibb lettuce leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- ¼ cup peanuts, chopped (optional)
- In a skillet on medium-high, warm canola oil. Add ground beef, onion and mushrooms. Stir, breaking up beef with back of spoon, until fully cooked.
- In a small bowl mix garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, rice wine vinegar and sriracha sauce. Pour over meat mixture and heat through.
- Remove from heat and stir in green onion and sesame oil.
- Serve on lettuce leaf topped with peanuts (if using) and additional sriracha sauce.