These Sausage Stuffed Mushroom Caps are a crowd pleaser!
Planning a holiday cocktail party? Who doesn’t love trying all the beautiful array of tasty morsels? The best parties are as much fun for the host as they are for the guests, but that takes a little planning. For this type of party, experts say to count on ‘20’ bites per person for a dinner event. It’s a host’s worst nightmare to run out of food, so make sure you make a little extra. Why not try adding these Sausage Stuffed Mushroom Caps to your appetizer platter. They’re super-flavourful, and most people love the meaty texture of mushrooms.
These Sausage Stuffed Mushroom Caps are a great make-ahead appetizer. Prepare filling and stuff the caps, they keep in the refrigerator several hours until you are ready to pop under the broiler just before serving. Looking for a few more suggestions? Check out my list of 15 Awesome Party Appetizers.
Hey guys, this is my last post for 2016…. 110 recipes later. I’ll be back with a fresh crop of recipe inspiration January 2nd. Until then, have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!
- ¼ lb (125 g) maple, honey garlic or your favorite pork sausage (about 5 links)
- 18 large mushroom caps (white or cremini)
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 Tbsp finely minced onions
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- ¼ cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp dry sherry
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ⅛ tsp salt and pepper
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Squeeze pork sausage out of casings. Clean mushrooms and remove stems. Chop stems finely.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter and saute mushroom caps for 2-3 minutes or until slightly golden. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and drain, upside down, on paper towels.
- Reduce heat slightly; add sausage and onions to the skillet; saute about minutes, or until the meat loses its pink color. Add the chopped stems and the garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and add the bread crumbs, sherry, parsley, oregano, sausage-onion mixture and salt; mix well; let cool slightly. Stir in the mozzarella cheese. Spoon stuffing mixture into mushroom caps and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, place stuffed mushrooms on a lightly greased baking sheet; place under a broiler for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Thank you Ontario Pork for partnering on these delicious Sausage Stuffed Mushroom Caps