A healthy and hearty salad, during the winter, that’s also delicious and addictive.
I’ve been eating this salad all week, not only to feel good about its nutritional value, but because it actually tastes really good. An addictive mix of salty, sweet and spicy flavours that I can’t get enough of.
This winter salad is a mashup of kasha, spinach, kalamata olives (right out of the jar because they’re so salty and delicious), green onions, avocado, green grapes and the highlight – spicy roasted sweet potatoes. A real weird mix, right? Not at all, try it, it’s sooooo yummy!
I love sweet potato, period. This version that is roasted, caramelized and spiced up with a hit of chili, is my new favourite. I think most veggies are even better roasted because the flavour and sweetness is so intensified.
It’s no surprise that sweet potatoes are at the top of nearly everyone’s healthiest foods list. One baked, medium-sized sweet potato contains 438% of your daily value of vitamin A (a white potato contains 1%), 37% of your vitamin C, and some calcium, potassium, and iron too. All this in just 105 calories! They also deliver 4 grams of dietary fibre… bonus!
This Spicy Roasted Sweet Potato can be served warm or cold in this salad, both ways are great. Make it ahead and keep it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to whip up the full winter salad for dinner or an awesome lunch. Don’t feel like a salad? Make this Spicy Roasted Sweet Potato and enjoy it as a great side dish.
- 1 large sweet potato, ½ “ cubes
- 1-2 Tbsp oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 cup Kasha (Toasted Buckwheat) or Quinoa, or Wheat Berries, cooked
- 2 cups fresh greens (baby spinach, baby romaine)
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- kalamata olives
- green seedless grapes, sliced
- green onions, sliced
- feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. In a bowl toss sweet potato, oil, salt, pepper, chili powder and parsley until coated. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, turning once.