Great Dads, need great desserts! Here’s a few to try for Father’s Day.
Hey everyone, I’m still on a break this week so I thought I’d end it off with a great roundup of desserts that are not only summer favourites, but ‘Best Dad‘ worthy. From ice cream to pie to delicious cakes here’s a roundup of decadent deliciousness that you must-try this summer!
1. Citrus Chiffon Cake with Grilled Fruits – Looking for something light and refreshing to end a great barbecue – but still want that ‘wow’ factor? Chiffon cake is the answer. It’s a perfect finish to a meal served outside while enjoying the warm weather.
2. Watermelon Yogurt Ice Pops – Yummy and refreshing, kids love ice pops and so will Dad!
3. Homemade Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake from Brown Eyed Baker – This is a copycat recipes of the ever-popular ice cream cakes from Dairy Queen – layers of chocolate and vanilla ice cream sandwiching a fudge and chocolate crunch filling. Yum!
4. Giant Ice cream Sandwiches from Ricardo Cuisine – Homemade traditional ice cream sandwiches are sure to please.
5. Turtle Hot Fudge Pudding Cake – This pudding cake is sooooo simple, just add chocolate fudge and pile-high with vanilla ice cream and it’s a dessert to-die for!
6. Grilled Strawberry Shortcakes with Balsalmic Vinegar from Foodiecrush – This 5-ingredient dessert is made for ease. Store bought pound cake gets a unique flavor boost from a quick grilling topped with sliced strawberries marinaded in balsamic vinegar.
7. Cappuccino Angel Food Cake – All Dad’s love a great cappuccino at their favourite coffee shop, bring that into a light and easy dessert with this spectacular cake that’s light as air.
8. Greek Yogurt Fruit Tart from Sally’s Baking Addiction – This is a delicious gluten-free, healthy summer dessert that is a real show-stopper! Use seasonal local fruits and arrange on the top to make this a spectacular end to a great barbecue.
9. Skinny Frozen Peanut Butter Pie from Sally’s Baking Addiction – OMG this pie…
10. Simple Peach Cobbler – This is a new recipe for me now that I’m on the GERD diet … not smiling right now… Great with fresh, frozen or canned peaches topped with a big scoop of ice cream, whipped cream or yogurt. Enjoy!
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup peach nectar
- ¼ cup pineapple juice or peach juice
- 2 16-oz cans peaches, sliced, packed in juice, drained (or 1-3/4 lbs fresh)
- 1 Tbsp margarine
- 1 cup dry pancake mix
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup evaporated skim milk
- Nonstick cooking oil spray (for baking dish)
- Topping: ½ tsp nutmeg and 1 TBSP brown sugar
- Combine cinnamon, vanilla, cornstarch, peach nectar, and pineapple or peach juice in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Add sliced peaches to mixture.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In another saucepan melt margarine and set aside.
- Lightly spray an 8-inch square glass dish with cooking oil spray. Pour hot peach mixture into the dish.
- In another bowl, combine pancake mix, flour, sugar, and melted margarine. Stir in milk.
- Quickly spoon this mixture over peach mixture.
- Combine nutmeg and brown sugar. Sprinkle mixture on top of batter.
- Bake at 400° F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream, yogurt or whipped cream.