Incredibly easy weeknight Butter Chicken, ready in 20 minutes!
Did you know that Butter Chicken is one of the easiest Indian curry recipes to make at home? Simple and so delicious. Usually the traditional recipe is just marinated chicken in a curry sauce. I’ve created my own ‘non-traditional’ version by adding bell peppers, onions, dates and pistachio nuts that I think is even more of a complete meal.
By reducing the steps, cooking time and using simple pantry ingredients, this 20-minute meal is ‘weeknight’ worthy!
You must have guessed by now that I have a bit of a sweet tooth. I love, love love the combination of sweet with meat. I think the addition of chopped dates to this Butter Chicken adds a sweet touch that offsets the spice perfectly. What do you think?
20-Minute Butter ChickenEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 6 chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2 Tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dates, chopped
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts, chopped roughly
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1 cup puréed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp garlic, puréed
- 1 tsp tumeric powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1-1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Prepare Curry Sauce by mixing all ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp canola oil to fry pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook, turning, about 4 minutes until cooked through and no pink is remaining. Remove from pan to another bowl and set aside.
- To the same fry pan, over medium-high heat, add 1 Tbsp canola oil, bell pepper and onions. Sauté until just soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add butter sauce, chicken and chopped dates. Stir to combine and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in milk and remove from heat.
- Serve over steamed rice sprinkled with pistachio nuts and fresh herbs.