Oatmeal cookie meets candy bar… what’s not to love?
Have you tried a ‘Twix’ candy bar? It’s one of my favourites. I love the combination of chocolate, caramel and a cookie all in one delicious candy bar – it’s the best!
That brings us to this month’s Sweet of the Month…
I got thinking about really wanting a Twix bar. I could have made my copycat squares with a shortbread crust, but I decided to take it up a notch by starting with an oatmeal cookie crust. Soooo yummy!
This recipe is really really easy. Most of the time is just waiting while the layers cool or set. The cooking part is only a few minutes. Like most squares, the results are delicious. The softness of the caramel and chocolate in contrast to the crispy oatmeal cookie crust is awesome. You are going to love these as much as I did.
- ⅓ cup margarine
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 oz. white chocolate
- Prepare a 8" x 8" pan by lining with parchment paper. Leave extra so you can easily lift squares out of pan. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a bowl beat margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in flour and rolled oats until mixture comes together (you may use your hands).
- Press mixture into prepared pan firmly. Bake for 25 minutes until golden. Allow to cool.
- Place ingredients for Caramel layer in a small pan and heat gently, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil over very low heat (this will take 4-5 minutes), boil, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes until mixture has thickened.
- Pour caramel over oatmeal cookie crust and allow to set for 10-15 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips then spread over caramel.
- Melt white chocolate and pipe in lines over dark chocolate. Using a toothpick drag through the dark chocolate in opposite direction to create pattern. Let set completely before cutting into squares. Can be stored in refrigerator or on countertop.