Need an easy solution for a busy weeknight supper? How about a make-ahead casserole!
The casserole… I know, it’s old-school. But it’s simply delicious.
This time of year can be really busy; final exams, soccer tournaments, graduations, prom, the list goes on and on. It’s nice to have a quick, easy and super delicious meal waiting for you when you get home. That’s what makes a casserole the perfect solution. It’s starch, protein and veg all in one… you’ve got to love that! You don’t have to cook all the different parts to make a complete meal, the old-school casseroles’ got it all in one dish! Whether it’s my Weeknight Spinach and Gnocchi Bake or the Eggplant Layered Casserole, don’t think you have to put these time-saving dishes away just when the weather gets warm. I love a them all year ’round!
Another great thing about this Chicken, Quinoa and Broccoli Casserole is it’s yummy when you first take it out of the oven, but it’s even better the next day or so. That magic happens when all the flavours make friends and come together overnight. Just scoop some out and reheat for dinner, scoop some more for lunch the next day, easy-peasy.
Want to turn this into a meatless meal? Just add a second cooked veggie like carrots or cauliflower, and with all that quinoa, it’s just as good for ya without the meat.
Count down to the next EatInEatOut™ magazine has begun… yeh! Look for the SUMMER issue in your email box two weeks today – June 8th. Whether it’s a bbq, a picnic or a garden party, we’ll have lots of recipes that help you take advantage of the glorious season and eat outside!
Want to learn more about the science-backed health benefits of quinoa? Check out this article by Helen Nichols of Well-BeingSecrets.com
Chicken, Quinoa and Broccoli CasseroleEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 1 can 10 oz/284mL low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 tsp flour
- 1/3 cup light cream cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 strips bacon, chopped (optional)
- 1 lb. chicken thighs or boneless breasts, cubed
- 3 cups broccoli florets, blanched
- 1-1/2 cups quinoa, cooked to package directions
- 2/3 cup Gruyére or white cheddar, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a small saucepan, add broth. Whisk in flour while bringing the broth to a boil. Whisk in cheeses. Reduce heat to med-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick. Remove from heat and whisk in milk.
- In a large fry pan, cook bacon (if using) until crisp. Remove. Drain off all but 1 Tbsp fat.
- To bacon fat in the same pan, add chicken and cook, stirring, until fully cooked, about 5-7 minutes.
- To a baking dish layer meat, bacon, quinoa and broccoli. Pour sauce over top. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 15 minutes. To serve, sprinkle with chopped herbs.
Leave a Reply