Need a delicious, good-for-you, weeknight meal in 30 minutes? Done!
I can’t believe we’re into the last two weeks of summer vacation, it goes by so fast. While there’s still a few late-summer days to be enjoyed, it’s also time to start planning ahead for the September rush. Soon we’ll hurry home from work and school, then rush off to soccer, football …. the list goes on. Instead of picking up pizza or take-out, let’s make a quick and easy meal at home that will still get you out the door fast.
In comes the much-loved, yet often forgotten Stir-fry. Delicious. Nutritious. Fast. Plus kids eat it up!
There’s no need to resort to bottled sauces, when making your own only takes a few minutes. This Beef & Mushroom Stir-fry with Rice Noodles uses my Amazing Stir-fry Sauce, which is well, just that… amazing! So versatile. Basically stir together six ingredients and add water… easy peasy. The amount of water dictates the dish you want to achive:
1/2 cup water = sticky thick sauce. Great for chicken and meat dishes.
1 cup water = the perfect stir-fry sauce regardless of ingredients.
1 1/2 cups water = a more brothy sauce. Great for noodle bowls or Pho dishes that need a soup-like consistency.
Beef in a stir-fry adds that powerful pop of protein and iron, the fuel our bodies need to run that extra mile, score that big goal, or just feel full and satisfied from the sidelines. Adding in a whole mess of veggies makes this Beef & Mushroom Stir-fry with Rice Noodles a perfect weeknight meal.
Wait, I almost forgot to mention the most important thing – the incredible partnership of beef and mushrooms. Flavour heaven. Enjoy!
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp sherry
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 8 oz (250 g) Top Sirloin Beef Grilling Steak or Strip Loin Steak, trimmed of fat, sliced into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 3 green onions + more for garnish, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (any type: cremini, oyster, white)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 125 g (1/2 package) rice noodles
- sesame seeds to garnish
- Combine all Amazing Stir-fry Sauce ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- Cook rice noodles by placing 2 minutes in boiling water, drain, rinse in cold water. Set aside, covered.
- Heat half the oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add beef slices and cook 1-2 minutes until brown but still pink inside. Add to bowl of Stir-fry Sauce.
- Add remaining oil to the pan along with peppers, carrot and mushrooms. Stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add green onions and cook an additional 2 -3 minutes until softened. Push to one side and add garlic and ginger to open space, stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add Stir-fry Sauce and beef to the pan, stirring to heat through and allow sauce to thicken. Add rice noodles and toss to coat.
- Serve sprinkled with additional green onions and sesame seeds. Makes 2 large or 4 small portions.