Celebrate our country’s 150th birthday with a new ebook from Canada’s Dietitians.
Are you ready to party for Canada 150? Then let’s get this coast-to-coast party started! Where? In the kitchen, with Canadian food!
I’m so excited to share with you this great new ebook from Dietitians of Canada’s Food and Culinary Network. I had the pleasure of working with this great group to design a recipe book that I know you’re going to love, love, love!
Celebrate Canadian Food is packed with delicious and super-healthy recipes created by Dietitians from all across Canada. What kind of party would it be without awesome food, right?
Are you craving some HEALTHY? Look no further. Celebrate Canadian Food is just what you need. With recipes like Fresh Lobster Rolls, Garden Lentil Salad with Maple Citrus Vinaigrette and Saskatchewan Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup it brings together tastes of the country from coast-to-coast.
Just to wet your appetite, Carol Harrison from yummylunchclub.ca has shared her recipe from the book: 3 Step DIY Buddha Bowls. Start with all-Canadian lentil-barley base for this hearty DIY Buddha bowl. Add some glorious grilled Canadian Beef, a few veggies and this is a protein-packed meal in a bowl!
We would love to see your creations for Canada Day. Make a recipe from the ebook and share your photos. Use the hashtag: #RDkitchenparty
DOWNLOAD, ENJOY, and have a HAPPY 150th CANADA DAY!!
- 1 cup EACH lentils and barley
- zucchini/cucumber/carrot ribbons, roasted red peppers/beets,
- artichoke, baby spinach
- falafel, hummus, grilled steak or chicken, roasted chickpeas
- crumbled feta or goat cheese, tangy yogurt, sliced radishes, pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp of dried or 1 tbsp minced fresh mint
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tsp hummus (optional
- Make the lentil-barley base.* Add about 1 cup to each bowl.
- Choose a flavour inspiration (see below). Build your bowl. Add two vegetables (about 2 cups) and a hunger-curbing protein add-on (about ½ cup).
- Make and add the dressing. Garnish.
- In a large pot, combine 8 cups water, 1 cup EACH lentils and barley (rinsed). Bring to a boil. Cover tightly, reduce heat and simmer until they are tender, about 15-20 minutes (avoid overcooked/split lentils). Drain and rinse in cold water to cool completely (keeps 5 days in fridge). Set aside. You can also use canned lentils and leftover barley.
- Veggies: zucchini/cucumber/carrot ribbons, roasted red peppers/beets,
- artichoke, baby spinach
- Protein add-ons: falafel, hummus, grilled steak or chicken, roasted chickpeas
- Garnishes: crumbled feta or goat cheese, tangy yogurt, sliced radishes, pomegranate seeds
- Whisk together in bowl/jar: ¼ cup canola oil, 2 tbsp lemon juice,
- /2 tsp of dried or 1 tbsp minced fresh mint, 2 cloves garlic, minced and 1 tsp lemon zest, minced. For a creamy dressing, stir in a spoonful of hummus.