Cherries and double chocolate make this Cherry Chocolate Cookie a holiday treat!
Let’s continue the countdown with one of my all-time favourites! Some people call these ‘Rudolphs, I love that name! I believe they first appeared in the early 1980’s in Better Homes and Gardens magazine, quickly becoming a classic.
Cherry Chocolate CookieEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 jar maraschino cherries, about 48, drained, reserve the juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer on medium-high for one minute. Beat in egg and vanilla for 2 minutes. Gradually mix in dry ingredients over 3 additions.
- Shape into 1-inch balls. Roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Press your thumb into the centre of each ball to make a well. Place a cherry (or half cherry) in the well. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are firm. Transfer to rack to fully cool.
To make icing:
- Heat chocolate chips with butter in microwave on high for 30 second increments, stirring, until melted. Add 3 Tbsp of reserved cherry juice and stir until smooth. Add additional juice if needed to get to a ‘drizzle’ consistency. Spoon or pipe over cooled cookies. Let the chocolate dry
- before storing. Makes 35-40 cookies.