Chocolate, peanut butter and caramel make the perfect cupcake combination!
After starting off the week with Classic Raisin Bran Muffins, it seemed only right to continue in the same pan and make March Sweet of the Month a cupcake! Not just any cupcake, a truly unique cupcake that combines chocolate, peanut butter, cream cheese and caramel… are you with me?
The cupcake batter for this recipe is one I have used before. Dark, chocolatey and rich – one of my go-to recipes. The last time you saw it was in these Peppermint-filled Dark Chocolate Cupcakes in December 2015. The process is exactly the same: bake cupcakes, fill with filling, and frost. Yum.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche FrostingEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup hot water
Peanut Butter Filling
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp milk, just enough to make it a smooth consistency
Dulce De Leche Frosting
- 1 cup dulce de leche, I use President's Choice jar sauce + more for drizzle
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 12-cup muffing tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, mix with an electric mixer the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, canola oil. Add water and mix until very smooth. The batter will seem very runny, but they will be fine.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake in preheated oven for 22-27 minutes. Allow to fully cool before filling. *if you don’t have any buttermilk, just use milk and add 2 tsp white vinegar; set aside for 5 minutes to curdle.
To make Peanut Butter Filling:
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Fill a pastry bag or injection icing tool with filling. Insert tip into centre of cupcake, swirling around a bit to make a cavity. Inject with filling until it appears at the surface and cavity is full (as shown). Repeat with all cupcakes.
To make Dulce De Leche Frosting:
- Beat Dulce De Leche, cream cheese and vanilla in a a bowl with mixer until smooth. Transfer to pastry bag or frost cupcakes with a knife.
Drizzle with extra Dulce De Leche that you have warmed a bit in the microwave.