Chinese tacos made at home with Slow Cooker Moo Shu Pork!
Welcome back to another slow cooker take-out recipe you can whip up at home. I’m pretty stoked about my ever-growing library of Chinese dishes with addition of this Slow Cooker Moo Shu Pork. Check out my other tasty creations: General Tso’s Chicken, Mongolian Beef and Sweet & Sour Chicken all made in the slow cooker!
This time I wanted to tackle one of my all-time favourites – Moo Shu Pork. I love the idea of delicious slices of hoisin-sauced pork tucked into a soft taco… Mandarin meets Mexican… so very Canadian!
So what’s in Moo Shu other than pork? Lots of carrots and cabbage! I like to keep mine simple with just those three ingredients, however traditionally, it is made with additional wood ear mushrooms and some scrambled egg.
Instead of making a traditional Chinese pancake, we are going to serve this Slow Cooker Moo Shu Pork America-style in a soft flour tortilla from the grocery store. Simply pick up whole wheat, corn, gluten-free or whatever kind of soft tortilla you like. Fast and easy.
I like to pile on lots of pork filling and top them with sliced green onions, extra shredded carrot (optional), bean sprouts (optional) and a drizzle of extra hoisin sauce. Get ready, you’re going to get your hands dirty. Deliciously messy… enjoy!
Slow Cooker Moo Shu PorkEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sherry
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 3 cups shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 1-1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 lb. boneless pork loin chops
- 8-10 soft flour tortillas
- ¾ cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup shredded carrots, optional
- 1 cup bean sprouts, optional
- In a small bowl mix hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sherry, sesame oil, corn starch, garlic and ginger. Set aside. It should yield about a cup of sauce.
- Place cabbage and carrots into a slow cooker. Cut pork chops into thin 1/8-inch slices. Place evenly over the cabbage-carrot mixture in the slow cooker.
- Drizzle half of the sauce mixture over top, cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. NOTE: In the middle of cooking remove lid, stir, and quickly replace cover.
- When finished cooking, stir in remaining sauce. Serve in tortillas.
- Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave on high for 20-30 seconds
- Divide pork mixture among tortillas, sprinkle with sliced green onions, bean sprouts (optional), additional shredded carrots (optional) and a drizzle of hoisin sauce. Fold and enjoy!