Chinese tacos made at home with Slow Cooker Moo Shu Pork!
Welcome back to another slow cooker take-out recipe you can whip up at home. I’m pretty stoked about my ever-growing library of Chinese dishes with addition of this Slow Cooker Moo Shu Pork. Check out my other tasty creations: General Tso’s Chicken, Mongolian Beef and Sweet & Sour Chicken all made in the slow cooker!
This time I wanted to tackle one of my all-time favourites – Moo Shu Pork. I love the idea of delicious slices of hoisin-sauced pork tucked into a soft taco… Mandarin meets Mexican… so very Canadian!
So what’s in Moo Shu other than pork? Lots of carrots and cabbage! I like to keep mine simple with just those three ingredients, however traditionally, it is made with additional wood ear mushrooms and some scrambled egg.
Instead of making a traditional Chinese pancake, we are going to serve this Slow Cooker Moo Shu Pork America-style in a soft flour tortilla from the grocery store. Simply pick up whole wheat, corn, gluten-free or whatever kind of soft tortilla you like. Fast and easy.
I like to pile on lots of pork filling and top them with sliced green onions, extra shredded carrot (optional), bean sprouts (optional) and a drizzle of extra hoisin sauce. Get ready, you’re going to get your hands dirty. Deliciously messy… enjoy!
Slow Cooker Moo Shu PorkEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sherry
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 3 cups shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 1-1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 lb. boneless pork loin chops
- 8-10 soft flour tortillas
- ¾ cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup shredded carrots, optional
- 1 cup bean sprouts, optional
- In a small bowl mix hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sherry, sesame oil, corn starch, garlic and ginger. Set aside. It should yield about a cup of sauce.
- Place cabbage and carrots into a slow cooker. Cut pork chops into thin 1/8-inch slices. Place evenly over the cabbage-carrot mixture in the slow cooker.
- Drizzle half of the sauce mixture over top, cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. NOTE: In the middle of cooking remove lid, stir, and quickly replace cover.
- When finished cooking, stir in remaining sauce. Serve in tortillas.
- Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave on high for 20-30 seconds
- Divide pork mixture among tortillas, sprinkle with sliced green onions, bean sprouts (optional), additional shredded carrots (optional) and a drizzle of hoisin sauce. Fold and enjoy!
Trying it tonight! It smells so yummy cooking! Thanks for the recipe, this is my fave take out dish!
Oh man! This looks awesome, yum!