Start your holiday baking off right with one of my favourite treats of all times!
I’m officially kicking off the holiday food frenzy – a season that every food blogger waits all year for. What better way to get you in the mood than with this delectable mash up of fun mini-marshmallows, coconut, chocolate and Nutella. These Fudgy Marshmallow Squares are certainly not a cookie, not really a square, but not really candy either… let’s just call them the perfect treat!
I must confess, because these Fudgy Marshmallow Squares are so simple to whip up in 10 minutes, I make them all the time. They are amazing bits of pure joy in your mouth… not kidding. Made from just six simple pantry ingredients, I like to keep them on hand in the refrigerator for when I need that quick after dinner… something sweet. They never last more than a few days, but stay pretty fresh up to 10.
I think this basic recipe has been around for while, both my Mom and Mother-in-law made them. The difference is they used peanut butter instead of Nutella. They also added a 1/4 cup of chopped nuts and no coconut. I did my own thing, but these are options you can try for yourself.
These babies look awesome on a cookie tray, love the bright, happy colours.
Because of the marshmallow, I don’t recommend freezing. Instead make a batch and keep in the fridge, removing just before you want to serve (or eat yourself). Enjoy!
Fudgy Marshmallow SquaresEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Nutella, or smooth nut butter of choice
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 4 cups mini rainbow marshmallows
- Line 8” x 8” pan with wax paper, letting the ends hang over the edges. You will use these as handles later.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the chocolate chips, Nutella and butter. Heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Let cool until pan is safely touchable on the bottom but still smooth to stir.
- Stir in coconut to combine well. Stir in marshmallows to cover.
- Spread mixture evenly in prepared pan. Place a sheet of clear wrap over the top and press mixture firmly and evenly down into pan to make an even top.
- Chill in refrigerator, covered with the plastic wrap, for at least 3 hours before cutting into squares. Remove from refrigerator just before serving.