A new feature – Sweet of the Month – begins with a moist delicious Meyer Lemon Pound Cake with Cardamom
Wow, is the year over already?
I am always amazed at how fast the time goes by now. When I was little, each day seemed to last forever, now a year is over in the blink of an eye. I don’t know if it’s just me, but I feel I’m not taking advantage of every precious moment. Maybe a positive first step into a new year is to take a moment to look back and feel good about the things I did accomplish. Let’s see what did I do…
• I added a 5th issue to EatInEatOut magazine. Yes!
• I launched the re-designed EIEO The Blog. Double Yes!
• I said goodbye to Cake of the Month… crying a little…
Sweet of the Month will deliver decadent desserts to your in-box on the first Monday of every month.
I know what you’re thinking… ‘she said she was going to be focussed on healthy recipes’ and ‘she was going to get more protein and good fats into her diet’. What happened?
I am totally going to do that. Just not the first Monday of each month! On the positive side, Sweet of the Month will be sponsored by the awesome folks at Manitoba Canola Growers. All twelve recipes will contain canola oil, with it’s clean neutral flavour and powerful omega-3 fats… yah!
Let’s get started. I’m guessing you probably had your fill of all things sweet over the holidays, so I thought we would start off with a less decadent treat. This Meyer Lemon Pound Cake with Cardamom is totally delicious, moist and lemony with a fragrant twist of cardamom. Add a good cup of green tea, and I’m in heaven. See… there’s a bit of healthy in there somewhere…
Have you tried Meyer lemons? I spotted these little gems at my local grocery store over the holidays and had to create something with them. They’re a cross of a lemon and an orange – kudos to the person that thought of that one. The skin has a bit more of an orange tint than a true lemon with the flavour being less acidic and slightly sweeter. Love them.
That takes us to cardamom. I am totally obsessed with that spice right now. Usually combined with curry, nutmeg or cinnamon in Indian cooking, I feel cardamom is going to have a break-out year in 2015. I have selected it as my Trend Spice of the Year. More on all the 2015 trends in the upcoming Winter issue of EatInEatOut magazine (online January 26th). Would you like to become a subscriber and receive our weekly posts and magazines? By subscribing you will receive a link to download the EIEO Cookie eBook 2014 -FREE ! To subscribe just CLICK HERE!
By the way, thank you, thank you, thank you for supporting EatInEatOut in 2014. If you have left a comment, pinned, tweeted, shared with a friend or just dropped by for a read… thank you. You are the reason I continue to create delicious things.
Cheers in advance to 2015!
Meyer Lemon Pound Cake with CardamomEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 Tbsps Meyer lemon zest
- 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 8-1/2" x 4-1/4" loaf pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment leaving long tails out two sides.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom in a bowl.
- In another large bowl rub lemon zest into the sugar with your fingers or back of a spoon. Add sour cream, eggs, vanilla and oil; whisk well. Slowly stir in flour mixture until blended. Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake 50-55 minutes until a cake tester placed into the centre comes out clean. Cool completely. Pull out of loaf pan by grabbing the two tails of parchment you left out the sides.