Not just for breakfast anymore! These Savoury Zucchini Waffles are delicious alone or a perfect partner for chicken.
What’s up with waffles lately? I’ve always loved them, but lately I’m seeing sweet waffles shared everywhere from Instagram to Pinterest. Waffles can easily be changed up by swapping out white flour for whole wheat and adding flax seeds or chia. The options for breakfast waffles are endless, but what about adding them to dinner with a savoury recipe? Genius…
I have always been intrigued by the popularity of Chicken and Waffles… what’s up with that? Having never tried this combination before, I was inspired to create a recipe for waffles that was a savoury, delicious compliment to meaty mains.
I also love zucchini. It is my go-to ingredient for cakes, loaves, muffins, pasta and now waffles! In baking, it adds moisture and gets hidden invisibly inside. In these Savoury Zucchini Waffles, I love that you can see a splash of green with every bite. It makes me feel better about having waffles for dinner… weird?
1 – a delicious partner. This recipe for Healthier Shake n’ Bake Chicken is perfect!
2 – a yummy sauce. I’ve included a recipe for Lemon Dijon Sauce that is tart and creamy. Also perfect!
I encourage you to go wild, think out of the box, have breakfast for dinner! Enjoy!!
- 1 zucchini
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp garlic, puréed
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat waffle maker to high - 400ºF.
- Grate the zucchini on the large holes of a box grater. Wrap in several layers of paper towel to squeeze out some of the moisture. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, pepper.
- In another bowl whisk together milk and eggs. Stir in garlic and basil.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Mix in zucchini and cheddar cheese.
- Spray top and bottom of waffle iron with cooking spray. Spread ¼ of batter evenly over the bottom and close top. Cook for 2-4 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve hot with Lemon Dijon Sauce.
- Mix ½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt, 1 Tbsp mayo, 1 Tbsp lemon zest, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 2-5 Tbsp 1% milk (depending on how thick you like it. Add more if you like it thin), salt and pepper to taste.