Cold enough yet? It’s time to warm up with a hearty bowl of Spiced Sweet Potato Coconut Soup!
I don’t know were you live, but here in Toronto, it’s been pretty cold this past week.
When it’s cold, and the afterglow of the holidays is finally worn off, I like to snuggle up with a big bowl of hearty steamy soup. I can’t lie, the inspiration for this soup was purely a ‘pantry’ emergency. Over the holidays, I had planned on making a couple of sweet potato casseroles to feed the family on Christmas Day. Plans changed, so I ended up with a huge pile of sweet potatoes in the cupboard that were screaming out to be made into something delicious. This Spiced Sweet Potato Coconut Soup with Pepitas was born.
- 1 cup chopped pancetta
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk , regular or lite
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup toasted sunflower seeds or pepitas
- In a large pot, sauté pancetta, onion, celery for 5-7 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and garlic; continue to sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, half-covered, for 20 minutes until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Transfer to a blender and purée in batches.
- Return to stove, add coconut milk and heat through.
- Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk and topped with toasted sunflower seeds or pepitas.