Cold enough yet? It’s time to warm up with a hearty bowl of Spiced Sweet Potato Coconut Soup!
I don’t know were you live, but here in Toronto, it’s been pretty cold this past week.
When it’s cold, and the afterglow of the holidays is finally worn off, I like to snuggle up with a big bowl of hearty steamy soup. I can’t lie, the inspiration for this soup was purely a ‘pantry’ emergency. Over the holidays, I had planned on making a couple of sweet potato casseroles to feed the family on Christmas Day. Plans changed, so I ended up with a huge pile of sweet potatoes in the cupboard that were screaming out to be made into something delicious. This Spiced Sweet Potato Coconut Soup with Pepitas was born.
Spiced Sweet Potato Coconut Soup with PepitasEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 1 cup chopped pancetta
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can, 400 ml coconut milk , regular or lite
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds or pepitas
- In a large pot, sauté pancetta, onion, celery for 5-7 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and garlic; continue to sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, half-covered, for 20 minutes until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Transfer to a blender and purée in batches.
- Return to stove, add coconut milk and heat through.
- Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk and topped with toasted sunflower seeds or pepitas.