Cooler temperatures call for comfort food that takes a little bit more love to prepare.
Some of the best dishes take a little more time. Delicious homemade lasagna is one of those dishes.
Setting aside a couple of hours to prepare this Roasted Vegetable & Turkey Lasagna will be totally worth it, I promise. Full of roasted zucchini, eggplant and rich turkey bolognese, this awesome casserole checks off all your nutrition boxes and delivers amazing flavour. A win, win!
What can be better than getting all the veggies and protein you need in one dish! Plus it’s got two of my all-time favourite veggies – zucchini (the uses for these guys never end), and eggplant, that I should use way more often.
I’m a pasta nut. I just love it. I know, it’s not really cool right now to love carbs, but I confess that I may question if life is really worth living with some pasta. I used traditional Barilla pasta in this recipe, which is the brand I love. However, the recipe would work just as well with any pasta you prefer. The pasta is not really the star in this one, it’s the rich turkey bolognese and roasted veggies that are on show here.
This Roasted Vegetable & Turkey Lasagna is a great dish to make ahead and refrigerate. The flavours really come together and improve the longer it sits, making it so easy to slice, reheat and enjoy!
Roasted Vegetable & Turkey LasagnaEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 1 ½ lbs. ground turkey
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 leaves fresh basil, finely sliced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 cups marinara sauce, I use White Linen brand from Costco
- 1 zucchini, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 2 Chinese eggplant, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pkg oven-ready, no boil lasagna noodles (you will need 9 noodles)
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- For meat sauce: In a large skillet cook over med-hi heat, sauté turkey, onions, bell pepper, salt and pepper until meat is cooked and veggies are soft. Add garlic, basil, sugar, oregano and marinara sauce. Bring to boil, reduce to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Lay out the eggplant and zucchini slices on a large cooking sheet. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in preheated oven for 17 minutes, turning once. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Reduce oven to 375ºF. Assemble lasagna by starting with ½ cup of meat sauce in bottom of a 7” x 12” pan. Over that layer, fill as follows: 3 noodles, 1/3 of meat mixture, ½ of veggies, 1/3 of mozzarella, 1/3 of Parmesan. Repeat. Top with with noodles, remaining 1/3 meat and cheeses.
- Spray a large sheet of foil with cooking spray. Place it, oil side down, on the lasagna and cover tightly. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
This post is part of a paid sponsored series with CanadianTurkey.ca. As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.