Get ready for the BIG GAME with these Turkey Marinara Meatball Sliders
It’s time to plan ahead for the Super Bowl next weekend… go Patriots! I’m sure everyone’s going to be hungry, so I plan on making lots of hand-held nibbles that are guaranteed to keep energy and spirits high.
These Turkey Marinara Meatball Sliders are a recipe I created for the Fall 2014 issue of EatInEatOut magazine. Whether served as delicious one-bite nibbles, or as a full-sized sandwiches, these meatballs are amazing. The meatballs can be made ahead, popped in the fridge, then assembled with simple jar marinara sauce during the game.
Not only are these babies totally delicious, they’re sooooo cute. Fun for the eyes and the taste buds… bonus! Adults and kids love food that you can eat with your hands. Gooey, messy and totally yum.
Not a ‘burger’ person? Here are a few other suggestions to make game-night a huge success:
So these look a little fussy for the football crowd, right? Not at all! These Spiced Pork in Parmesan Cups look complicated but are really simple.
I know I have mentioned this recipe for Kennedy’s Famous Shrimp Dip a lot lately, but I totally love it! I made a batch in early December and froze it in smaller bowls – got me through Christmas, New Year’s Eve and now the Super Bowl. That’s a great recipe!
If you want to look for more ideas, just click the RECIPES tab in the top navigation bar and you will go to my recipe library. You can find lots of other starters or chili or soups or casseroles…
Turkey Marinara Meatball SlidersEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Asiago cheese, grated
- ¼ EACH dried oregano, basil, salt and pepper
- 2 cups maninara sauce
- 32 mozzarella slices of ½” x 3”
- 16 fresh basil or baby spinach leaves
- 16 mini-slider buns
To Make Marinara Meatballs:
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, milk, panko, cheese, dried oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Form into (1-1/2 inch) meatballs.
- In an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tsp canola oil and cook meatballs 8 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Spoon marinara sauce over meatballs and bake for 12-15 minutes until cooked. Assemble sliders now, or place Marinara Meatballs in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Re-heat Marinara Meatballs (if using from refrigerator).
- Preheat broiler to high.
- To each mini-slider bun bottom, place 1 basil leaf, 1 Marinara Meatball with sauce, and top with 2 cheese slices. Place 8 sliders on a cookie sheet and slip under the broiler 1 minute to melt and brown the cheese. Place top of bun and serve. Repeat with remaining 8 sliders.
Yummy! These look so good! I love any type of slider, especially when watching football!