Let’s celebrate… fall!
Fall is almost here… my favourite season! It’s never too early to start thinking about ways to enjoy the awesomeness of fall. Start with this great roundup of fall recipes. It’s just a reminder of all the fruits and vegetables that are available in local fall markets waiting to be enjoyed!
Let’s start off the countdown at #10 – Turkey & Apple White Chili – What’s the ‘king’ of fall fruits? It’s got to be the apple! This chili is one of those stick-to-your-ribs meals, with a modern twist.
#9 – Apple Cake with Maple Buttercream and Pecan Trim – this is one of my most popular recipes, a fall classic!
#8 – Roasted Plum Salad with Candied Pecans – Plums are a great reason to love fall.
#7 – Pumpkin & Chocolate Layer Cake with Whipped Brown Sugar Frosting – This recipes was Sweet of the Month for October, an excellent blend of sweet and spice.
#6 – Roasted Cauliflower Soup – The uses for this high-fiber veggie is endless. Let’s eat it now while local cauliflower is at it’s best.
#5 – Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples – This Brussels sprout salad is the perfect side dish for the sprout-weary folk at your Thanksgiving table.
#4 – Spiced Pumpkin Cake with Molasses Cream Cheese and Ginger Snaps – I have no idea why is cake is not my most popular of all time… it is truly awesome. Moist, tender and really easy.
#3 – Spiced Sweet Potato Coconut Soup with Pepitas – I have a thing for the spicy combination of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. It’s a combo that makes any soup, stew or meat so warm and inviting.
#2 – Pumpkin Zucchini Loaf with Streusel Topping – I know another pumpkin recipe, but I tossed in the bonus of zucchini this time. It’s a simple go-to loaf that is moist and delicious every time.
That brings us to #1 – Grilled Fall Veggie Wrap with Red Pepper Hummus – Have you read the Fall 2015 issue of EatInEatout Magazine yet? This recipe appears on page 33.
- 1 tsp canola oil
- ¼ bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- ¼ yellow zucchini, cut into
- ¼ green zucchini, cut into
- ¼ bosc pear, cut into matchsticks
- 1 wrap or tortilla – plain, whole wheat or spinach
- ⅓ cup Red Pepper Hummus – store bought or see recipe to right
- 1 tsp pumpkin seeds
- handful of fresh baby spinach
- handful of fresh pea spouts
- In a small bowl, toss bell pepper, zucchini and pear with oil to coat. Place in a grilling pan over medium-high heat and cook 1-2 minutes per side.
- To Assemble Wraps: Spread hummus on ⅓ of the tortilla. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds over hummus. Layer with slices of grilled veggies and pear, spinach leaves and sprouts. Fold wrap tightly, rolling firmly. Cut in half to serve.
1 garlic cloves, minced
1 15 oz. (425 g) can of chick peas, drained
1/3 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup roasted red peppers
1/2 tsp cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
In a food processor, combine all ingredients and process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl, cover and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.