Cold weather comfort foods just found a perfectly delicious sidekick!
Hi Guys, another one of the new things I’m trying in 2017 is sending you a new recipe on Sunday. What do you think?
With the chilly weather outside, all you want to do is bundle up inside with some cozy comfort foods. You know, chili, stew, soups and chowders. I love them all. Here are a few of my past favourites you may remember: 3 Cheese Lasagna Soup, Slow-Cooker Canadian Onion Soup or Turkey & Apple White Chili.
As good as they all are on their own, they need a good ‘sidekick’. Partners that perfectly compliment each other. That was made really clear recently when I was stirring a big batch of my Simple Salmon Chowder (recipe coming soon). I said to myself ‘”this soup is awesome, but it could really use some bread…”. Not just any bread. Something moist, tender and a delicious compliment to my super-cozy soup. Now I could have whipped up a batch of Savoury Cornbread Muffins, but I had another brilliant idea…
I remembered a recipe that I clipped out of the Longo’s Fall 2016 magazine for Apple Cheddar Loaf. With a few tweaks of my own, that would be perfect!
News flash – I’m a bit fussy when it comes to herbs; not on speaking terms with all of them. For example, I don’t like rosemary at all. I know weird, but that’s the way it is. I don’t really care for the taste of cilantro either… yuck. Having said that, I love most of them including basil, tarragon, mint and my super-favourite – dill.
The recipe I mentioned for Simple Salmon Chowder (coming, really, for sure…) has dill in it, so an Apple Cheddar Loaf with Dill would be a perfect companion. The recipe I saved only needed a few minor tweaks to become just-right for me. It was really easy, moist, tender and delicious. Not sweet, just a savoury bread that would be great on it’s own or along side that chili, soup or stew. You have got to give it a try, I totally loved it!
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 cups old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and grated (I used Honey Crisp)
- 3 tsp fresh dill, chopped + more for topping
- ½ apple, cored and thinly sliced for topping
- Grease and flour a 4” x 8” loaf pan, Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl beat eggs, apple juice and oil until light and foamy.
- Add cheese, grated apple and dill and stir until combined.
- Scrap batter into prepared pan evenly, spreading and flattening the top. Lay additional apple slices and fresh dill down the middle pressing a bit into the batter.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes, then turn out, right side up, and cool completely.