Wrap yourself in comfort food that’s made slow & easy
Again this year I’m happy to share that I’m partnering with Turkey Farmers of Canada to create delicious recipes made with the goodness of turkey, raised by Canadian farmers. This partnership is a no brainer – who doesn’t love the versatility, great flavour and nutritional power of turkey? So good!
Some recipes just come at the perfect time. The holidays are a distant memory and outside the dog-days of winter are bitting at your toes. Don’t despair, these gloomy days and frosty evenings can be beaten back with a big hearty bowl of warm soup. Not just any soup, one with ooomph. The job calls for a creamy, stick-to-your-ribs chowder with loads of carrots, onions, kale, turkey and a bit of a twist.
I think you’ll quickly surmise from my previous soup posts – Three Cheese Lasagna Soup, 20-Minute Bean, Tomato & Spinach Soup or Hot & Sour Soup – I like a soup that is thick and chunky. The broth has to have weight, bite and tons of flavour. That’s why I love chowder!
I also love a meal that can be prepped ahead, uses simple ingredients from my pantry and best of all, cooks away all day in my slow-cooker while I get other stuff done. This Slow Cooker Turkey & Gnocchi Chowder checks all those boxes.
Every great new recipe needs a twist, am I right? Well traditional chowders always have potatoes, just a fact. How about we turn that tradition on it’s head and substitute a simple package of potato gnocchi from the pantry? No peeling. No chopping. Pow, mind blowing… Enjoy!
This post is part of a paid sponsored series with CanadianTurkey.ca. As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.
- 8 slices bacon, chopped into 2" pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (3-7 lb.) turkey breast, boneless, skinless, cut into two pieces
- ¾ cup onions, chopped
- ¾ cup carrots, chopped
- ¾ cup celery, chopped
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 cups (1 L) poultry or vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tbsp water
- 1-1/2 cups 1% milk
- 1 cup 10% cream
- 1 package (1 lb.) store-bought potato gnocchi
- 3 cups fresh baby kale
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, fry bacon until crispy. Add garlic and cook one minute longer.
- Transfer bacon and any bacon fat to a slow cooker. Add turkey, onions, carrots, celery, basil, oregano, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Cover, and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Remove turkey to cutting board and chop or shred. Return to slow cooker. Add cornstarch mixture, milk, cream and gnocchi. Cover and cook 45 minutes.
- Stir in baby kale, cover cooker until kale is wilted about 2-3 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.