Brownies just got even better… is that even possible?
This basic brownie recipe is the bomb. It doesn’t get any better as far as I’m concerned. Moist, but not too gooey. Tender, but not like cake. Chocolatey, but not as dense as fudge. And best of all, these Stuffed Brownies have a surprise in every bite…
The big surprise in the base batter is… wait for it… Ovaltine, yes good o’ fashioned Ovaltine. It’s really malted milk powder, but that can be hard to find. Ovaltine is a malted milk powder I can get in my local grocery store anytime. Don’t get the ‘chocolate’ flavour, you want the ‘original’ version which is malted. You only add 1/4 cup, but it really adds a malted flavour that is totally awesome!
Some times I like these brownies plain, but I’ve taken them up a notch for you my peeps by ‘stuffing’ them with STUFF! Now that 3 cups of STUFF is totally up to you. It can be cookie chunks (Oreo or ginger snaps), candy bar chunks (O’Henry, OMG’s, Twix), pretzels, graham crackers, potato chips. Go crazy – combine 2 or 3 to make your own STUFF masterpiece.
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup malted milk powder (I use Ovaltine Original)
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups of chopped STUFF: candy bar, pretzels. marshmallows, chocolate chips, potato chips, cookies, graham crackers, nuts, dried fruit etc.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 8” x 8” pan with cooking spray or live with foil.
- Melt butter in microwave and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, malted milk powder, salt and both sugars.
- In a large bowl beat 2 eggs, vanilla and melted butter with a mixer until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients and combine on low until smooth. Scoop out 1 cup of the batter and set aside.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread out evenly. Top with 3 cups of STUFF (I used 1 /2 cup caramel chips, ½ cup white/dark chocolate swirl chips and 2 cups chopped OMG’s).
- Top with remaining batter. Note: the batter is thick so it is difficult to spread over the STUFF, Spoon it out in several blobs and then spread as best you can. It’s worth it!
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until centre is just set. Allow to cool fully before cutting into squares. Can be served plain or with a dusting of powdered sugar.