Time to lighten-up with these 10 fresh and healthy spring recipes
Here in Toronto the local fruits and vegetable don’t start pouring into the farmer’s markets until early May. In the meantime, we have to continue to be creative with local onions, carrots, cabbage and root vegetables that are still plentiful. I’m still loving my rutabaga, are you with me?
Here’s a list of 10 recipes, including my Sweet & Spicy Udon Noodle Bowl, that were a bit lighter, fresher and really simple. I hope they help you get in the mood for spring.
1. Rainbow Zucchini Noodle Salad – I know this will be so much better when local fresh blueberries, peppers and zucchini are here. In the meantime, don’t miss out, we are so lucky to be able to enjoy this delicious healthy salad all year ’round!
2. Rhubarb Coffee Cake – Rhubarb is one of the first plants to pop up in the spring. April to June is the peak season across Canada. This is a simple coffeecake that’s just perfect with the tart taste of rhubarb.
3. Blood Orange and Quinoa Salad – Have you tried Blood Oranges? They have a unique flavour profile, with a distinctly different raspberry-like addition to the usual citrus notes. This simple recipe is a great lift from the everyday orange salad.
4. Dynamite Plant Power Sushi Bowls – from Pinch of Yum – healthy, delicious, and no take-out!
5. Breakfast Tacos – from Foodiecrush – OMG the photo for this recipe is so beautiful, it’s almost too good to eat… almost…
6. Steak & Egg Salad – Take a break from cooking supper with this simple assembly-meal, made with leftover cooked steak and hard boiled eggs.
7. Spring Grilled Pizza – not warm enough to grill outside yet? Come on… you’re Canadian… get out there!
8. Thai Green Curry Shrimp with Asparagus – from Seasons and Suppers – it won’t be long until the spring asparagus is in the markets – note to self… remember to try this!
9. Fresh & Spicy Shrimp Tacos – light, fresh and delicious!
10. Sweet & Spicy Udon Noodle Bowl This simple noodle salad first appeared in last year’s Spring 2015 edition of EatInEatOut Magazine. So simple yet so yummy. It can be served warm or cold. A great salad to take for lunch, just pack the vinaigrette in a separate container and mix with cooked noodles when ready to eat… yum!
Sweet & Spicy Udon Noodle BowlEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 2 - 200 g packages of Udon noodles
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 3 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- fresh cilantro
SWEET & SPICY VINAIGRETTE
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Whisk all vinaigrette ingredients together in a bowl.
- Prepare Udon noodles as per package directions. Pour vinaigrette over warm noodles and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds.