I love a great list, don’t you?
As we venture into December, I start feeling like making lists, don’t know why, I just do. To kick off list season there is nothing better than compiling an awesome list of my favourite holiday cookie recipes. It’s a highlight of the holidays; testing and tasting many varieties of home-baked goodies. If I can’t eat cake, cookies are the next best thing… I love them all!
Here’s a list of 15 Awesome Christmas Cookies that are EIEO tried and true favourites.
1. Fruit Cake Cookies: These are showstoppers! I like to start big, so I’m kicking off the list with a cookie that has to be a true holiday classic. You’ve got to make these if you like soft, moist and slightly chewy deliciousness (who doesn’t?).
2. Coconut-Lime Shortbread Cookies: These cookies are gorgeous – they will make you look like a professional baker, promise.
3. Ranger Cookies: Sometime called Cowboy Cookies, these huge and hearty cookies are perfect with a big glass of milk on a cold December evening.
4. Mandarin Orange Snowball Cookies: Puffs of sweet icing sugar go everywhere… yum!
5. Clementine Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Cookies: Still on a citrus high from these little gems.
6. Triple Chocolate Nutella-Stuffed Cookies: For the chocolate lover who never has enough.
7. Perfect Gingersnap Cookies: This recipe is the one. Soft, but not too soft. Chewy, but not too chewy. It’s just right!
8. PB & J Pinwheel Cookies: Looking for a unique cookie to add a pop of colour to your cookie tray this season… nailed it….
9. Chewy Coconut Macaroons: I just posted these a few weeks ago, but I wanted to remind you their awesomeness.
10. Fully-Loaded Oatmeal Cookies: I actually posted these babies for Father’s Day this year, but let’s face it, oatmeal cookies are a must year-round!
11. Christmas Meringues: OMG these are so cute! Crisp and light as air, what a holiday charmer.
12. Sour-Cherry Pistachio Cookies: I first made these back in 2012 and I still love the combination of tart dried cherries and chewy pistachio nuts.
13. No-Bake Chocolate Haystack Cookies: I know you are sick of me reminding you of this recipe, but it is soooo popular!
14. Cherry Chocolate Cookie: Some people call these ‘Rudolphs, I love that name! I believe they first appeared in the early 1980’s in Better Homes and Gardens magazine.
15. Sweet & Salty Butterscotch Cookies: My new favourite, soft yet crispy wafers that I just added to the list this year. They appear in the Holiday 2016 issue of EatInEatOut™ Magazine, our 5th anniversary and final issue, but included the recipe below.
That brings us to the end of my list. I hope I gave you the inspiration you need to kick-start your holiday baking.
Sweet & Salty Butterscotch CookiesEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped, salted,
- dry-roasted cashews
- 2/3 cup butterscotch pieces
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line cookie sheet with parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Beat until well combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Beat in as much of the flour with the mixer as you can.
- Stir in remaining flour, cashews and butterscotch pieces.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons, 2 inches apart, onto
- prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until edges are lightly brown. Cool 2 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to fully cool.
Hey, did you miss the launch of the Holiday issue of EatInEatOut™ magazine? It’s our 5th anniversary collector’s edition and also the final magazine we will be publishing. While the recipe inspiration will continue here on The Blog, we certainly said goodbye to the magazine in style… just click.